Eighty (80) years ago om March 2, 1937, this Credit Union was organized under the name "Prairie View State College Employees Federal Credit Union". The field of membership was limited to those having the following common bond of association, occupation or residence. "Employees of Prairie View State College, Prairie View, Texas, including county extension agents, home demonstration agents and vocational agriculture teachers employed at the college, members of their immediate families and any organizations of such persons".
Several years later, the name of the Credit Union was changed to "Prairie View Federal Credit Union."
It subsequently revised its membership to a Streamlined Expansion Procedure (SEP) by the addition of small occupational groups of persons with occupational common bonds which are located within 25 miles of this Credit Union.
The field of membership of the credit union was limited to that stated in Section 5 of its charter by which the field was limited to those having the following common bond:
- Employees of Prairie View A&M University in Prairie View, Texas (including county agents, home demonstration agents and vocational agriculture teachers employed at the university).
- Students of Prairie View A&M University.
- Employees of the United States Post Office in Prairie View, Texas.
- Employees of the City of Prairie View, Texas.
- Employees of the Credit Union.
- Members of the following associations in Prairie View, Texas who qualify for membership in accordance with their constitutions and bylaws as of the date of their addition to the field of membership:
- Epsilon Tau Lambda Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
- Jack & Jill, Inc.
- Prairie View A&M University National Alumni Association.
- Prairie View Athletic Club.
- Prairie View Local Alumni Association.
- Members of the following churches in Prairie View and Hempstead, Texas:
- Bethlehem Methodist Church
- Church of Christ
- First Methodist Church
- Mt. Corinth Baptist Church
- St. Francis of Assisi Episcopal Church
- Members of their immediate families.
- Organizations of such persons.
- Prairie View Volunteer Fire Fighting Association.
The Prairie View Federal Credit Union remains the only financial institution in the Prairie View Community. Based upon our current field of membership, we serve:
- Eight hundred and Seventy-five (875) members.
- One hundred and ten (110) member organizations.
The faculty and staff of the University are our largest membership group. Expansion of the field of membership to include PVAMU students will move the University to the source of our largest single membership group.
At the close of 2016, this group generated in excess of ninety thousand one hundred thirty-one dollars ($90,131.00) each month in share deposits and loan payments. We provide Credit Life and Disability Loan Protection to all borrowers. Insurance is the only item that you cannot buy when you need it.